Thursday, February 16, 2012

Take Care with CFLs - Where to Recycle them

CFL- Compact Flourescent Lights have become the new norm for light bulbs. I think most of us feel good about using them knowing that we are saving energy. Many light fixtures already include CFL bulbs in the box when you purchase them from the box stores. All good news for our electric budget.

Just the other day, I replaced a small flood light in the kitchen with a CFL floodlight. When I turned the light on I thought something was wrong with the new bulb. It barely gave any light and took quite awhile to warm up and begin to glow with full strength. Now I realize that CFL floods have not been perfected. Next time I'll be looking for an LED flood which won't have the delay -

Years ago, we were used to seeing workers throw the tube bulbs out without caring when they shattered into dumpsters. We've come a long way in that regard as well. Take care when disposing of old CFL bulbs. They do contain a very small amount of mercury.

If a bulb breaks- Clear the Room! People and pets should leave. Open a window/door for 5-10 minutes. Don't use a vacuum unless you absolutely have to-If you do, then immediately place the vacuum bag in a sealed plastic bag. The preferred disposal method is to use tape to pick up small pieces etc. Place glass and any powder residue into a sealed container which should be kept outside of the home for trash disposal.

Recycle your old CFL bulbs- I've noticed that Lowe's and Home Depot as well as our local Ace Hardware store here in Traverse City have recyling bins for used bulbs. If everyone took advantage of this recycle program it would make a difference in our environment. That's the "green" in me coming out- I just can't help myself.

Nancy with Grand Bay Building and Remodeling http://www.grandbaybuilding.com/

1 comment:

Dumpster Dude said...

LED lights are the future, Saves energy & eco-Friendly.